Wednesday, July 1, 2009

My favorite WiFi spots in Phnom Penh

Stick it to the man and DON’T go to Café Sentiment where you will pay 5x the price you should for gross, watery coffee and a crappy connection. Here is a list of my favorites these days, based on average connection speed, atmosphere, good coffee/food and price.

T&Coffee has a huge, brand new location near Norodom. Easiest way to get there from the SW part of town is to head up Sihanouk Blvd, turn left right after the sewage pond/entrance to Olympic Stadium, turn right at the roundabout, go straight past all the grassy dividers, cross over a few streets going straight until you come to a huge, shiny brand new T&Coffee on your left hand side.

Blue Note Café is a brand new little hole in the wall near Bantey Slek, so all of us living on this side of the rice field no longer have to go to Evil Sentiment Cafe if we’re after someplace close and convenient. The Owners are a couple from America, and the wife is Cambodian. Nice people to talk to. They have quite a zippy connection (mostly because the memo hasn’t hit the streets yet and you’ll likely be the only one using it). They serve up some good fried chicken, spaghetti, pizza, and some Asian food as well. They have a full bar too, if you’re into that sort of thing. Just head in the Sovanna Mall direction on St. 205, cross over Mao Tse Tung Blvd. and continue straight until you come to it on your left hand side.

Park Café has also just opened a great big new location near Sovanna Mall, a cause for rejoicing by all who live in my neighborhood. They are also open until 10 pm, but they’ll be shooing you out a few minutes earlier than that true to Cambodian style. Their connection is fast as long as there aren’t too many people making video Skype calls. I recommend their coffee float. Near the entrance to Sovanna Mall, on Rd. 271 (the big road that surrounds the city.)

Corner 33 is a swanky little place that is relatively new, set just a little ways back from the river side. I’ve never more than a few people there at a time, although I haven’t been much since it’s quite a drive for me. Good food and coffee, but a bit pricy. Really cool place. I can’t remember exactly how to get there…look at a map.

Obviously, there are lots near Russian Market and Riverside but since I’m not a tourist I don’t go there often. One that I do know and like on the riverside is Café Fresco, but they are kind of expensive. I work in SW Phnom Penh so most of the places I listed are near me. I encourage you to post your own list of favorite free wifi spots in Phnom Penh or Cambodia, it would be much appreciated! (especially in Toul Kork, since I might be going out there a lot pretty soon, and I have no idea where the good wifi spots are.)

1 comment:

  1. I’ve found the WiFi at Angkor Mithona bar and restuarant to be very fast and reliable – both for downloads and especially for photo uploads.

    Food’s good too, though I haven’t stayed there

    It’s in the backpacker district, at the corner of street 172 and 13, behind Wat Ounalom.

    ReplyDelete