Monday, June 29, 2009

Hello from Cambodia! Tips and advice for travelling on a budget in Cambodia, written by a local expat.

Hello to all adventurers and backpackers interested in traveling through Cambodia! This blog is dedicated to the sole purpose of sharing tips, resources and experiences for those interested in passing on the "tourist scene" and getting a taste of the real Cambodia. Living as an expat in Phnom Penh, one soon realizes the value of shared experience and personal recommendations...after all, it can be hard to find the "street cart selling the best tasting fried crickets in all of Mondulkiri Province" on Google. The idea for this blog was born last April, when I was trying to plan a last minute backpacking trip from Phnom Penh to Mondulkiri on a whim and a very tight budget. I made tons of phone calls locally, but no one I knew had ever been there. So instead I spent hours and hours weeding through annoying travel agency tour ads on Google trying to get information and plan my adventure.
At other times, I have needed to book a guesthouse or hotel for a guest coming to town, and of course the ads aren't going to tell me that "exeptional value and friendly staff" actually translates as "hourly rates, lots of prostitutes." I thought to myself, how great it would be if someone living in Cambodia with first hand experience, would compile it all to share and make the world a better place! Well, the lightbulb came on and I thought that maybe if I get the ball rolling and share the bits and pieces I've got, others out there might be willing to contribute their own experiences as well.
I will post my own first hand accounts, links to my articles such as my favorite restaurants and other travel tips, and anything else that might be helpful to the cause. I also welcome anyone who has something to share that will help others discover the non-tourist side of Cambodia. Be sure to sign up to receive updates, as Cambodia is in constant development and information on things such as road conditions to certain remote areas might be outdated in a few months. Thanks for checking out my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment